Wednesday, August 12, 2009

In the planning stages.

One week till classes start: a phrase that scares and excites me at the same time. Next week, I start my senior year at NC State University, something that I never would have thought I'd be doing, and it makes me incredibly nervous. I have one week, just one week, to get all my plans together, make sure my class schedule is straight, figure out my budget, wrap up my old job and say goodbye to several clients who have become friends over many years. I need to finish getting my books online, see about getting my truck inspected, get to Fayetteville somehow to update my military family ID, and get my eyes checked in preparation for getting a new set of reading glasses. Oh, and get my apartment cleaned up. My desk, as usual, is covered with small piles of books and papers, some of which should be recycled and others that need to be filed.

Did I MENTION I have just one week left?

I need to see about getting my summer credits from Wake Tech transferred here to NC State, review my espaƱol from previous classes, work on writing for my graduate school applications, and look over my review books for the GRE. I should be getting some cooking done and in the freezer, so that on the nights I come home from class tired and hungry I can stick something in the microwave and have something healthy to eat. And I need to take at least one day, ONE day, to rest. Last year, I took a day out of the area with my cell phone off, reading and writing in my journal and praying. Am I going to have time to do that as well?

In one week. Yeah, I do believe that's going to work. Uh-huh.

As usual, my plans and expectations for my schedule are meeting the cold, hard wall of reality. I am capable of a lot, and in the last few years I've come to realize that I'm able to do more than I had realized. Yet, I am not Superwoman. Nor should I start thinking I can be her.

But I can't throw up both hands and decide that because I can't do everything I want to do, that I should give up and not do anything. I've done that in the past, and believe me, it doesn't work. My job, should I choose to accept it, is to do the best I am capable of doing, and trust that God will be with me to give me the strength and wisdom I need to get it done. That's doable.

So, time to pick the most important things off the list for the day, and get started on them. I think I have enough time to get some writing done while the laundry runs, and before I have to leave for this afternoon's appointment. ¡Vamanos!

Your busy sister,

Darcyjo

2 comments:

  1. so how long do you have to do all this??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunno, hon. I graduate from NC State next spring, Lord willing, but I am applying for graduate school. I hope to be at Duke next fall, seeking a Master of Divinity degree. So, what can I say, I'm gonna be a student for a WHILE. :o)

    ReplyDelete